Sunday, August 1, 2010

Time

The top photo is a picture of the Bristol suspension bridge. Normally when you snap a picture with your camera, the shutter opens for a fraction of a second allowing light to hit the film. In this photo, light was allowed to hit the film for half a year. The streaks you see are the path of the sun as it passed overhead 180 times. The bottom photo is of MoMA as it went up over the course of a year.

More here.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Inside a dead skyscraper.


When the windows were broken, the air turned to poison

So time was frozen, and time was frozen

There were inches of dust on mahogany tables

Where the footprints of rats raced across the asbestos

And the children in the pictures taped up on the cubicle walls


There is sometimes a strange feeling subsequent to a disaster that develops in stages after the initial concussive force. In some rare instances, you can see tragedy coexisting with what once was normal. You get an opportunity to see just how thin the veneer of your comfortable life really is - and with any luck, it makes you thankful.

I noticed this when I had to evacuate for hurricane Rita and left my rent house for six weeks. The night before, the hurricane it was projected to miss us by a very wide margin. We all went out and had a great time as we would any other night. But when the National Weather Service issued it's 5 a.m. update the storm had made a dramatic, unpredicted turn off-shore, and was now heading right for us.

I woke up to a quiet and sunny morning with several voicemails and texts from family and friends, telling me to get out as soon as possible. Every channel on the television was giving stern warnings for everyone to leave. They were showing maps with cones and storm surge probabilities - it was a grim, ominous feeling.

I decided to go to Wal-mart and stock up on batteries and dog food, "just in case." When I got there, I had the store to myself. Within about 2o minutes, the isles were flooded with panicked throngs, blindly dumping bottled water and batteries into their carts. They had apparently received their voicemails and turned on their televisions at about the same time as I had.


I had just enough time to block off my bedroom window with my closet door that I had pulled off the hinges, pack up the dog, and hit the road. We left everything else - the playing cards on the coffee table, the half empty red plastic Solo cups on the kitchen cabinet, the food in the freezer.

The interstate was clogged with SUV's, most with gas cans tied down to their roof racks with bungee cords, there were people desperately driving through the median and on the break-down lanes trying to get ahead. It took me (and my dog Amos sitting on the front seat) nearly 4 hours just to make it 10 miles.

When they finally took away the road blocks entering the area 6 weeks later, they allowed people in only during daylight hours to assess property damage. It was like a ghost town. No businesses were open, traffic lights didn't work, all of the bank signs that normally tell you the time and temperature were either splintered or dead, people were burying and burning garbage in their front yards, windows were taped and broken, trees and bits of peoples' roofs lined every path you took.

When I first went back to our house, entering it after 6 weeks of absence, it was alien. While there was a 70 year old elm tree lying over our house - the normal things were what really shocked me.

I had forgotten about the playing cards, and the red plastic cups, and my closet door bravely defending my desk against an attack from a wayward tree, the now bloated and rotting bag of green beans in the freezer, my unmade bed - still with the impression of where I was laying 45 days ago, reading text messages about a storm.

It was almost voyeuristic, the way I felt looking around my own house through a different pair of eyes, seeing the contrast of normal life juxtaposed with desolation and emptiness. It was like it was some other person's living room. Someone I had met before but only had the vaguest recollection of.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesse Stiles was a musician who had just graduated college when the WTC came down. After the disaster, he and some friends moved to New York to help clean up the nearly collapsed buildings that surrounded the site, and few years later, he put what he saw inside the building into song. That song was then made into concept-art in the form of a 'game,' called Inside a dead skyscraper.

Said one blogger: "it’s creepy, but the mixture of the music and the content makes it oddly compelling and kind of beautiful."











Be sure to fly around a bit...







2 comments:

Mrs A said...

Love this post, mostly cause I'm secretly an avid urbexer- I think you'd probably enjoy it too. If you ever have some free time to read something not about life-saving, check out Access All Areas by Ninjalicious

Nick said...

haha, yeah i have a sense of "curiosity," too. me and my old college roomate let ourselves in to our old college dorm sallier hall, about 4 years after it had been condemned. There was still graffiti we had put on the walls of our room there. I did a photo comparison.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/nl9569/sal2.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/nl9569/sal3.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/nl9569/sal4.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/nl9569/hall.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/nl9569/Picture026.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/nl9569/door.jpg