Wednesday, February 29, 2012

There is actually an organization named "The Cloud Appreciation Society."








What you see above are examples of the cloud formation undulatus asperatus. Undulatus Asperatus is a cloud formation, proposed in 2009 as a separate cloud classification by the founder of the Cloud Appreciation Society. Yes, Virginia, such a thing exists. If successful it will be the first cloud formation added since cirrus intortus in 1951, i.e., this:

I miss the days when I was learning middle school science when there were only 4 or 5 types of clouds. Science seemed to make sense, things fit, and there was order in the world. Plus being able to differentiate a cirrus from a nimbus was a great way to impress your grandmother, and a big boost to your self-esteem. Seems like the older I get and the more degrees I obtain the more the lines get blurred and the less certain I am about whether things can be classified, described, or figured out in their entirety. Good thing it's all still nice to look at. Still can't believe there's a cloud appreciation society, though....

1 comment:

Theatre Geek said...

I can't add you as a friend on Facebook right now from my account because somebody hit that they didn't know me and so I have to wait for Facebook to not ban me from inviting friends. However, my facebook account is http://www.facebook.com/kagomeshuko

It's been almost 10 years since we graduated from McNeese and I'm trying to get an Honors College reunion together . . . not have it cost anything or much - just so we can have a nice get together with classmates and if they have family, now their families!