Monday, September 17, 2007

The Freshman Clap (no cephalosporin required)

Let me preface this brief post by saying that, no, I have not recently acquired a gonococcal infection whose euphemististic moniker's origin has been relegated to the pages of obscure history.

Today we had what has become one of my favorite things about AUC, the freshman clap. Every semester, the 2-5th semesters, faculty, and staff (whoever isn't working or in class, that is) gather in the rotunda to set up tables with refreshments and cheer on the first semesters as they emerge from the anatomy lab and their first medical school exam.

This is all a surprise for them of course.

I can remember emerging from Dr. Berisch's first test feeling like I had been hit by a train; so it takes you quite by surprise when you walk into the rotunda feeling tired and defeated and you're suddenly surrounded by a room full of whooping and applause. I think it's one of the few signs of solidarity we have at AUC. Traditions are difficult to maintain when your students only spend a brief 20 month stint in basic sciences, but I'm glad we have it:




Also, look for me at the Red Piano (piano bar) in the near future, we have decided to do a piano rendition of Dr. Dre's "B#tches aint Sh#t." We had a good time there this weekend, perhaps too good on my behalf. I have selectively neglected to post several of the pictures of me interupting my friends and their dates being "that dude," with a wide smile and big thumbs up...


4 comments:

Sunil said...

Excellent way to have permanent memories (at least for the next 8 months) of this rather special event. Keep on posting buddy.

Sunil

Anonymous said...

nice post, this is YODA from VMD.

geaux tigers, i am from ville platte and in my intern year at LSU-NO.

keep up the good work and tell Dr. B and Mrs. B that LUKE LeBas said HI.

sk said...

I saw you posted this earlier and came back now because I was sure someone would have made another clap joke by now..... i think this island is catching up to me.

Trixie the Pixie said...

Okay, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who laughed when I saw the subject line of that e-mail they sent out the other day...