Tuesday, October 21, 2008

New toy

A long time ago my mom had started me a collection of antique cameras that she would find at garage sales and such. This is the newest member of the family that resides on a shelf above my desk, Leigh Ann surprised me with it yesterday along with about 5 lbs of candy and a giant plastic spider (I hate spiders). It's a 1920's era German, Goerz Tenax. It's weird to think someone actually used this thing before WWII was even a thought in anyone's mind. I cleaned the bellowing and took out the lenses and cleaned them. The engineering on it is very clever, everything folds up into a suprisingly compact and efficient little box, it took me 30 minutes just to figure out how to use the view-from-above mirrored viewfinder (which is composed of two lenses and a mirror that fold together to make a triangle), I'm sure it was the iPhone of its day. It takes 120mm film, so as soon as I can find a cheap place to buy and develop that stuff, we'll see what sort of cool, artsy shots we can take with this thing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad I started something. Oh, and I thinking your writing is wonderful! (from a mom and language arts teacher)