Sunday, August 19, 2007

Miami International, the weirdest place on earth

It starts out nice, big atriums, news stands, well lit. But slowly the hallways get narrower, the carpet is frayed and ripped in places, florescent lights are intermittently flickering on a crusty patch of drywall from a busted pipe. You wonder "Am I going the right way? There is absolutely no one coming this way but me in this dimmly lit hallway, I mean concourse D is like a quarter of the airport and I just passed through a broom closet. This is getting eerie." I felt like any minute I'm going to run into some muppets, or David Bowie.
Finally, having walked almost 20 minutes not having seen anyone in a huge international airport I run into one guy who is walking backwards on one of those Jetson's conveyer belt things. I approached him cautiously, half expecting him to make me answer 3 riddles before being allowed to proceed to concourse D. Instead he realises there's actually someone else in this huge hallway and he mumbles something to the effect of "my...uh...flight....delayed....just waiting"

Then a little later, I look to my side and realise that I'm walking next to James Carville, Louisiana's own "Ragin Cajun," (you may recognize him from the movie "Old School," or "Lord of the Rings")

The conversation went like this:

Me: "Hey, are you that...debate...guy...." (probably came off as rude but I'm tired and my mind went blank with a name at the last minute) (prosopagnosia?)

James Carville: "yep, James Carville"

Me: "oh, cool...."

James Carville: [walks quickly away to act like he's buying a sandwich]

Well I'm finally at gate D34 and I board in 10 minutes. Hasta

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"that debate guy." love it. I will always think of Carville as That debate guy

Nick said...

Absolutely, that will probably go down in the books as one of the single most ridiculous things I've ever muttered. The fact that he faked going to a sandwich stand testifies to that. I was going on 28 hours without sleep after Demesquita worked me over on that final so you have to cut me some slack.