Friday, June 11, 2010

I have a habit that when I'm flipping channels and I happen across "The top 100 most [[whatever]]," I always give it a pause to see what its about. I guess this stems from my natural inclination after 22 years of school to make lists, and make sense of data through order - its certainly not because I'm just as susceptible to garbage TV as the average person...

If the show is in the top 10 of a very long list I wouldn't ordinarily care about - I feel compelled to watch. I feel almost lucky for some strange reason, like if I had a huge reading assignment, but someone just offered out of the blue to read me the Cliff's Notes and explain the last chapter. Even if I didn't like the book, I figure it would still be worth a few minutes "to see what it was about."

Inevitably, the producers of the show know that if the general audience has invested four hours of life into this brain-suck while eating a bag of Doritos (I'm just guessing what others do...); They can easily put 10 minute commercial breaks between every number of the countdown toward the end, and I... they... willl stay to watch.

So now, although I was actually looking for something like "The Medici, Godfathers of the Renaissance." I'm now watching the nail-biting finale' of "America's 100 Silliest Pets!"


Yesterday, instead of having the will to resist, I grumbled while watching an Omnaris commercial for the forth time, anxiously waiting to see who the all time #1 and #2 child stars are. I actually missed going to the bathroom, because hey, it would be a shame if I went and would never know...

It was Macaulay Culkin and Bart Simpson, by the way.
"Ha! Sucker."

1 comment:

Mapleleaf said...

ME TOO! Except I end up watching food countdowns - Im not even a big food eater! Top 10 diners in America. DAMN YOU TV!!