Wednesday, June 27, 2007

New living arrangements beginning in August






"Well Mr. Leonards, thank you for interviewing for the position of resident advisor, do you have any questions?"










"Yes as a matter of fact. What did the cannibal say to his cannibal friend when they ate a clown?"










"I don't know, what?"










"Does this taste funny to you?"










((slaps desk and laughs out loud))










"...."










"...."










((clears throat))










"sooo...."










"Yeah.....anyway....Thanks again for coming in"










"How will you inform me of a decision?"










"public flyer."










"makes sense."










"thanks"









So that's not exactly how it went, anyone who knows me knows I have a tendency to take a few creative liberties with my stories for art's sake. All joking aside, I did interview for the position and it went very well (obviously); I did see the flyer on a door before I checked my email so that was pretty funny. So I'm pretty excited about this, I'll be living on campus, 30 seconds from class basically, no utilities, half price rent, private room, you really can't beat that deal, in fact I may be able to hire a maid once a week with the money I'm saving. The only downside is that it will curtail my time I get to spend back in the states this break, like down to 4 days, which hurts. But nothing is free and nothing is promised. On the upside, I really enjoy helping people just getting to the island, I know how scared and bewildered I was, I showed up with two suitcases and a post-it note with a crude map of where I was to stay. That's it. My whole life had led up to the point where I cut the cord on everything else and started from scratch with a post it note... When I stepped out into Princess Juliana Airport that day I stood there with my bag not really knowing what to do or where the exit was. If you were standing close enough, you may have heard me mumble something to the effect of "I want my mom..." OK that was a little dramatic too, but it is scary, you don't even know where to get a loaf of bread, the cab drivers scowl at you and tell you to hurry up, you don't have a phone, its nuts. So it makes sense to help people out, what might take me 5 minutes might give them alot of reassurance and save alot of time. Anyway, here's some pictures of what will be my new home in a couple of months and of school that I took from the basketball court.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on the assignment, or whatever you call it. There is something very mind-blowing about walking out of the airport for the first time here. It's extremely loud, bright and disorienting.

Nick said...

Tell me about it, I might as well be from Andy Griffith's neck of the woods in Mayberry, everything is strange to me. Still the airport now is better than the interim during the construction.

Unknown said...

you are quite a writer - enjoyed your rendition - heart-warming to know you still think about us when you are scared....love you!

Unknown said...

Congratulations....I guess you just can't get away from the dorm system. All your dorm buddies at MSU would be so proud...your such a role model….oh and be nice to your pugly dog… I felt so sorry for him! :)