Friday, September 12, 2008

9/11/08

I went by the WTC site yesterday. It wasn't quite what I expected, mostly tourists and 9/11 conspiracy theorists. There weren't as many flowers and candles and all of the things you might expect. There were news crews, people playing guitars, tons of police, a man standing with a photo album of pictures from the disaster ranting to an interested crowd like an evangelical preacher, and thousands of people milling around looking at the sky.







When I got there, I turned on my camera only to realise I had left my memory card at home. So I took the subway to Times Square and hunted for a cheap replacement (FYI if that ever happens to you - don't buy from these no-name electronics stores they wanted $30 for a 1 gig card, I went to Staples and got a 2 gig card for $13) While I was there I decided to go to central park and uptown where Leigh and I had hung around last winter, everything looked completely different this time around - much nicer.

I decided to head back downtown to the WTC site.

I hung around for a while, hoping to maybe see Senators McCain or Obama who were supposed to stop to pay their respects. But, as I talked to more and more cops it became pretty obvious that they were going to keep people far away from whatever location the presidential candidates would be at, they wouldn't even hint at a time that they would be there, saying THEY didn't even know.

Needless to say I gave up and took the train over to SoHo and met Adam for a couple of beers at a place called the Blind Tiger. I got to see where Elija Wood (Frodo Baggins) smokes cigarettes outside of Adams apt, which was a real treat... and with a bit of a buzz, I hopped back on the E train to take a few night shots of the WTC site. The infinity lights where incredible, to solid beams piercing the sky like sabers. I had to see them in the context of the Manhattan skyline, so I took the PATH over to Jersey City (yes, I went to another state to take a picture, it was the best $1.75 I've ever spent.) Be sure to click to enlarge:








5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing pictures...

Mover said...

How on earth did you get such clear and vibrant night pictures?! Maybe you need to teach me how to use a camera.

Nick said...

haha, thanks, I just used a tripod and adjusted my shutter speed to take a long exposure.

Anonymous said...

Good work! I didn't realize that they had relighted those beams. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

that looks like a ufo.